Popular Threads
Death Knight Info

Death Knight Info
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-wrath-of-the-lich-king/872730p1.html

Interesting read. Notable that they mention that the Death Knight's tanking niche will be dealing with caster damage.

Some abilities -

• Death Coil -- Depletes all Runic Power, dealing 600 damage to a non-Undead target, or healing 900 damage on a friendly target.
• Death Grip -- This is the Death Knight's "taunt" ability. It also pulls the target to the Death Knight, forcing them to attack the Death Knight for a short amount of time. Yes, I said pulls the target; Blizzard is going to allow players to move mobs in the expansion both with Death Grip, and other knockback/pull abilities. This works on players too, so PvP balance ahoy!
• Chains of Ice -- Roots the target in place. When the spell fades, it places a snare on the target that reduces in potency as the duration runs out.
• Raise Dead -- Raises a nearby corpse to fight for the Death Knight for 2 minutes. If used on a player corpse, the player has the option to play as the ghoul for the duration -- gaining access to the ghoul's abilities.
- The ghoul has the ability to do the following:
-- Leap to the target
-- Rend for decent damage-over-time
-- Stun target, and of course more
• Death Pact -- Sacrifices the raised ghouls to heal the Death Knight.
• Death and Decay -- Targeted, AoE Damage-over-time which pulses similar to the Paladin spell Consecration. Anyone affected by Death and Decay has a chance to be feared.
• Frost Presence -- Increases Armor by 45% and allows the Death Knight to generate 25% more threat. Only one presence can be active at any time.
• Unholy Presence -- Increases Attack Speed and Movement speed by 15%. Only one presence can be active at any time. This was described by Tom Chilton as the "PvP" presence.
• Anti-magic Shield -- Reduces the damage of the next magical spell cast on the Death Knight by 75%. It also converts the damage reduced into Runic Power.
• Strangulate -- Depletes all Runic Power, dealing minor damage and silencing the target for up to 5 seconds.
• Summon Deathcharger -- Allows the Death Knight to summon a Deathcharger mount. This mount is acquired through quests, similar to the Paladin and Warlock land mounts.

A quick recap of the information they were told about the Death Knight:
• Death knights will be available to all players with level 55 characters
• Players can create one death knight per realm, per account
• Death knights can be any of the races
• Once created, death knights can undertake a series of quests to introduce the player to the new class and its associated lore
• Death knights utilize a rune system as their resource mechanic
- Three different rune types are available: Unholy, Frost, and Blood
- These runes allow death knights to cast spells and abilities; spells can cost any combination of these runes
- Spent runes automatically refresh after a set period of time, similar to a rogue’s energy bar
- The death knight will have the ability to customize which array of six runes is currently available
• As rune abilities are used, the death knight also generates another resource called Runic Power
- The death knight will have several abilities that cost all available Runic Power, with varying levels of effectiveness based on total Runic Power spent
- Runic Power decays over time if it’s not spent, similar to a warrior’s rage bar
• The death knight has three different presences to use: Blood, Frost, and Unholy; each presence grants the death knight a unique buff that will allow him or her to fulfill different roles in combat
• The death knight can serve either as a tank or as a melee-based damage-dealing class
• Death knights are designed to be highly viable tanking, magic-using characters
• Death knights will have the ability to summon undead guardians to fight by their side
• Death knights will have the ability to summon a Deathcharger mount.

--
More Lich King info -

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-wrath-of-the-lich-king/872693p1.html

Most notable is how they mention that *all* raids are available in both 25 and 10 man versions, with the 25 man ones having substantially better gear. Very interesting.

--
Quote by Locklear
More Lich King info -

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-wrath-of-the-lich-king/872693p1.html

Most notable is how they mention that *all* raids are available in both 25 and 10 man versions, with the 25 man ones having substantially better gear. Very interesting.

Yeah I hope this works out, but I would like to see more info.
I like how they're returning to environments and an atmosphere more in-line with Azeroth and away from the massive black hole of suck that is Outlands.

I don't like how they're continuing to dumb-down the game more and more for casual players.

And Death Knights? wtf? Death Knights follow Arthas, do they not? How am I supposed to ally myself with someone who is loyal to the Lich King? Death Knights = KoS if you ask me.

Not looking forward to this expansion... at all.

sixx

--
"[Sixx]... you just lack diplomacy." -Vujadae

Quote by sixxara

I don't like how they're continuing to dumb-down the game more and more for casual players.

I'd care about this more if they stopped developing high-end raid content, which they clearly aren't doing. Who cares about casual gameplay if its not affecting yours at all?

And Death Knights? wtf? Death Knights follow Arthas, do they not? How am I supposed to ally myself with someone who is loyal to the Lich King? Death Knights = KoS if you ask me.

Eh. People made the exact same fuss about Alliance Shaman/Horde Paladins pre-BC, and a year later, both classes are welcomed with open arms. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. I prefer a wait-and-see approach rather than the typical WoW Forum negative nancy nerd-rage that goes on with pretty much all new content.

--
I'd care about this more if they stopped developing high-end raid content, which they clearly aren't doing. Who cares about casual gameplay if its not affecting yours at all?

I'm slightly concerned that a 25 man version my not seem as epic if you have already done the 10 man version. But it sounds like they plan the 10 man progression line to be independent of the 25 man progression.
Quote by Warloff

I'm slightly concerned that a 25 man version my not seem as epic if you have already done the 10 man version. But it sounds like they plan the 10 man progression line to be independent of the 25 man progression.

Yea, I can see that. I highly doubt they'd deliberately design the 10 man version to be the "easy" mode though. Case and point, ZA. Accessible to anyone, but requires more awareness and responsibility from each individual player than pretty much most of Tier 4/5. Its a lot more difficult for any given player to be carried through the instance if the importance of their role in the group is magnified.

Raid size doesn't necessarily equate to epicness. I recall clearing MC/BWL with 40 players, 5 of which were afk half the time, 20 of which underperformed, and the rest who carried everyone else.

--
Quote by Locklear

Yea, I can see that. I highly doubt they'd deliberately design the 10 man version to be the "easy" mode though. Case and point, ZA. Accessible to anyone, but requires more awareness and responsibility from each individual player than pretty much most of Tier 4/5.

I really like 10 mans. My favorite instance in the game is ZA, and Karazhan is high on my list of favorites. In fact, I would sign up for 25 man versions of these instances! (On the other hand I'm not sure if anyone would ever want to do a 10 man SSC...bleh!)

I just hope the 25 man versions of bosses are sufficiently different to make it seem like a different encounter. If its just the same boss with the same abilities except that he hits harder this will be kinda disappointing. I don't think this will be the case, but will feel better once they talk a little bit more on how this system will work.
I prefer a wait-and-see approach rather than the typical WoW Forum negative nancy nerd-rage that goes on with pretty much all new content.
[/QUOTE]

LOL!! Brilliant. GDamn negative nancy nerd-rage

--
Quote by Warloff

I just hope the 25 man versions of bosses are sufficiently different to make it seem like a different encounter. If its just the same boss with the same abilities except that he hits harder this will be kinda disappointing. I don't think this will be the case, but will feel better once they talk a little bit more on how this system will work.

Yea I agree. I hope 25 man Malygos isnt just the 'heroic' version.

--
Quote by Locklear

Raid size doesn't necessarily equate to epicness. I recall clearing MC/BWL with 40 players, 5 of which were afk half the time, 20 of which underperformed, and the rest who carried everyone else.

This is how I felt when they announced 25man dungeons instead of 40man dungeons. Up until Naxx/later half of AQ40 (neither of which I experienced), we were basically 25manning the raid dungeons anyway. About 10 people were regularly not present during trash clears but would somehow always be at their keyboard to bid on loot, another 5 we desperately wanted to go afk because they refused to install ktm and had no idea what threat was, and at least 2 people were there all the time, never pulled aggro, but didn't seem to be doing much of anything. Especially not decursing or tranq shotting.

--
(USER WAS AWESOME FOR THIS POST)

AFK: Attack, Fight, Kill! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way To Fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.
OOM: Out Of Mobs, go pull more.
"Being around you makes me feel nicer [by comparison]."
-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
Quote by sixxara
I like how they're returning to environments and an atmosphere more in-line with Azeroth and away from the massive black hole of suck that is Outlands.

sixx

I love the idea of going back to old school zone looks. Didnt much like outland besides the looks of hellfire penn and shadowmoon.

The second statment I dissagree strongly with. WOW is already geared at taking up to much time. You have to live on wow to get anything good. I think this will be a generally good change all around.

--

Quote by evesagarn

The second statment I dissagree strongly with. WOW is already geared at taking up to much time. You have to live on wow to get anything good. I think this will be a generally good change all around.

Not really anymore. My rogue has never been past kara and some of her gear is better than T6. Clear KZ once a week for badges and you'll have some of the best gear in the game for little to no effort.

sixx

--
"[Sixx]... you just lack diplomacy." -Vujadae

Being someone that just doesn't want to sink a lot of time into a game anymore, I appreciate what they are doing. Wow has always been a lot of work for no pay

--

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.