WoW Addon = Bejeweled

WoW Addon = Bejeweled
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

'Bejeweled' Coming To "World of Warcraft'
Posted by Patrick Roche-Sowa - Monday, September 22, 2008

As more proof that modding is a good thing, Bejeweled will soon be available as an optional in-game time-passer in Blizzard's mammoth MMO World of Warcraft, and we have Michael Fromwiller to thank for it.

The San Jose State University student decided to shoehorn the addictive PopCap Games puzzler when he was thinking of ways to pass the time during extended raids or long running farming sessions. By creating a crude copy of Bejeweled, Fromwiller got the attention of PopCap Games, who then hired him to create an official localized version specifically for use in the World of Warcraft UI.

Source: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689435/Bejeweled_Coming_To_World_of_Warcraft.html

Bejeweled Comes To World Of Warcraft
Andy Chalk posted on 22 Sep 2008 12:46 pm
bejeweled, blizzard, michael fromwiller, popcap, tradeskill, world of warcraft
Good news for those who like to sprinkle crystal meth on their crack cocaine: PopCap has created an official version of Bejeweled as an add-on for World of Warcraft.

The idea originally took form as an unofficial version of the game called Besharded, created by Michael Fromwiller as a way to kill time during farming and long raiding sessions. The Bejeweled clone eventually drew the attention of PopCap, which responded in a very cool fashion by not only embracing the idea, but by hiring Fromwiller to create a more polished, official version of the game.

The Bejeweled add-on for World of Warcraft will offer classic, timed and "flight" game modes, according to Gamasutra, as well as a customizable interface, a persistent high score table and a "Bejeweling tradeskill" ranking for player achievements. The new mini-game will be available beginning September 25, and best of all, it will be absolutely free.

And that, kids, is how you do it. Bejeweled is an old game and the effort required to buff it up for World of Warcraft was probably minimal, but by doing the exact opposite of what the industry normally does in these cases, which is to say cease-and-desist letters backed by the threat of heavy-handed legal action, PopCap has managed to turn a forgettable little side-story into a potentially huge public relations coup and mountains of gamer good will. Is it any wonder they're at the top of the heap? Casual they may be, but a lot of mainstream videogame publishers would do well to take note.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86401-Bejeweled-Comes-To-World-Of-Warcraft

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
Quote by Isadoriana

'Bejeweled' Coming To "World of Warcraft'
Posted by Patrick Roche-Sowa - Monday, September 22, 2008

As more proof that modding is a good thing, Bejeweled will soon be available as an optional in-game time-passer in Blizzard's mammoth MMO World of Warcraft, and we have Michael Fromwiller to thank for it.

The San Jose State University student decided to shoehorn the addictive PopCap Games puzzler when he was thinking of ways to pass the time during extended raids or long running farming sessions. By creating a crude copy of Bejeweled, Fromwiller got the attention of PopCap Games, who then hired him to create an official localized version specifically for use in the World of Warcraft UI.

Source: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689435/Bejeweled_Coming_To_World_of_Warcraft.html

Bejeweled Comes To World Of Warcraft
Andy Chalk posted on 22 Sep 2008 12:46 pm
bejeweled, blizzard, michael fromwiller, popcap, tradeskill, world of warcraft
Good news for those who like to sprinkle crystal meth on their crack cocaine: PopCap has created an official version of Bejeweled as an add-on for World of Warcraft.

The idea originally took form as an unofficial version of the game called Besharded, created by Michael Fromwiller as a way to kill time during farming and long raiding sessions. The Bejeweled clone eventually drew the attention of PopCap, which responded in a very cool fashion by not only embracing the idea, but by hiring Fromwiller to create a more polished, official version of the game.

The Bejeweled add-on for World of Warcraft will offer classic, timed and "flight" game modes, according to Gamasutra, as well as a customizable interface, a persistent high score table and a "Bejeweling tradeskill" ranking for player achievements. The new mini-game will be available beginning September 25, and best of all, it will be absolutely free.

And that, kids, is how you do it. Bejeweled is an old game and the effort required to buff it up for World of Warcraft was probably minimal, but by doing the exact opposite of what the industry normally does in these cases, which is to say cease-and-desist letters backed by the threat of heavy-handed legal action, PopCap has managed to turn a forgettable little side-story into a potentially huge public relations coup and mountains of gamer good will. Is it any wonder they're at the top of the heap? Casual they may be, but a lot of mainstream videogame publishers would do well to take note.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86401-Bejeweled-Comes-To-World-Of-Warcraft

I am a puzzle game addict, I can't wait to DL this, I'm hoping for a lumines or super bust-a-move clone next.

--
I´ve had my frustrations about the pains of daily life
I´ve tasted degradation and found the lace and candle light
But we have the weights we have the measures of our days and nights
I´ve had my frustrations but now I´ve found my place

And you will make it
But only if you run

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Just what we need... an addictive game inside an addictive game. Bravo!

sixx

--
"[Sixx]... you just lack diplomacy." -Vujadae

Quote by sixxara
Just what we need... an addictive game inside an addictive game. Bravo!

sixx

Haha, indeed.

Their combined addictive powers would create Voltron levels of productivity loss.

--

Yo dawg, X-to-the-Z here. We heard you like games, so we put a game in yo game so you can play while you play!

--
(USER WAS AWESOME FOR THIS POST)

AFK: Attack, Fight, Kill! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way To Fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.
OOM: Out Of Mobs, go pull more.
"Being around you makes me feel nicer [by comparison]."
-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
True that was pr0. lollin
lmao

--
Must... know... when... this... comes... out...
Hey Lock...didn't you play one of those addon games back before BC and you got a bunch of ppl hooked on it during "down time" and in AQ during rezzes? What was that called again? I'm pretty sure you spearheaded that Addon game movement then haha "/nod"

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
If i remember right there used to be an addon to play texas holdem in game as well... might have to see if i can find that one too
I think it was a trivia game. In Mc and AQ.

--
"We share much together, love of bacon, seeing how low we can let the tanks health get before healing him, pulling before the raid is ready(not really) we have shared a vast font of memories together." Master Fune about DA.
IT'S HERE!!

http://www.popcap.com/promos/wow/

DOWNLOAD NOW!!

--
I´ve had my frustrations about the pains of daily life
I´ve tasted degradation and found the lace and candle light
But we have the weights we have the measures of our days and nights
I´ve had my frustrations but now I´ve found my place

And you will make it
But only if you run

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

[Back to Index]