More paid Warcraft customization

More paid Warcraft customization
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

World Of Warcraft Sex Change - Only $15
By Mike Fahey, Thu Dec 11 2008

The day World of Warcraft fans have been dreaming about is finally here. Now players are able to pay a $15 fee to change their character's face, hair, skin color, and most importantly, sex.

The new service is accessed through your World of Warcraft account on the WoW webpage, just like the rest of Blizzard's handy pay services. Simply select your server, your character, and pay $15, and the next time you log in you should have a button on the character select screen that allows you to modify your character's attributes. The only two items that remain set in stone are your race and class, so your rotting corpse will still be a rotting corpse.

I stress the sex change portion of the process, but only because it is the most significant change made available through the paid character re-customization service. Accessories and hairstyles are changeable via the in-game barber shops, and paid name changes have been around for quite awhile. The main difference between changing your name via the name change service versus the re-customization service is your old name is locked for 90 days following re-customization.

So it all comes down to gender bending. I suppose there are all sorts of reasons to change your sex. Perhaps talking in your deep, manly voice on Ventrilo didn't quite seem right with your dainty female Blood Elf. Perhaps you just want something new to look at. Or maybe you underwent a real-life sex change and need your character to reflect said change. I'm not going to judge you.

Well, I am not going to write about judging you.

I meant to have a nifty before-and-after shot of my priest Medizin to accompany this post, but as of right now it seems the service isn't working as intended. The site promises an option to re-customize upon your next login, but as of this writing it's been an hour and a half since my transaction went through and still nothing. It seems I am not alone, as one lengthy forum post already has 24 pages of replies, including this one from Blizzard poster Reythur:

Hey folks,

We've tested the service using various methods, and they've all gone through appropriately. It's possible that as the service was announced a bit later than the majority of you actually utilized it, the service was still in it's setup phase.

As a result, some of you may have gotten stuck with a paid customization and no option to re-customize your character. We have determined that this is very likely to be resolvable, however, the matter will likely need to be addressed via our Billing department. If we verify another method of addressing this issue, we will provide the information accordingly.

Please contact them at your earliest convenience and they will do what they can to assist you. We will be keeping an eye on this issue and will make sure that there are no outstanding occurrences of this matter. We will continue to do what we can to resolve any issues that do arise.

We understand that our Billing department is currently closed, however, and as a result it you will be unable to alleviate this issue until tomorrow morning at the earliest. As all of you are able to login to your characters, please feel free to play as you wish; you have our apologies that you will likely be unable to utilize this service on characters that are currently 'pending'.

World of Warcraft Sex Change Broken
New service launches a bit wrong, 11 Dec 2008

Finally, Blizzard has launched a new service to let confused gamers change the sex of their World of Warcraft characters. Along with your name, face, skin colour and other cosmetic features (such as "tauren horn styles or a night elf's facial markings"), that is. All for just $15 (£10) plus tax! Unfortunately, it would seem the service is broken.

Many users have reported their payment having been accepted for the service, but no customisation options having been made available to them. Blizzard has posted a handful of steps that might help those affected get past the problem, but if that fails users are advised to contact the billing department. Which opens in four hours...

So, you pay a tenner for a service that could be made available for free with just a minor patch, then Blizzard swallows your money. Brilliant! But once that's all sorted, you can change your character as much as you want, right? Wrong. You'll have to pay all over again. It's the same deal if you want to revert back to your original name and appearance.

But you get new options that weren't available at the character creation stage, right? Nope. You get exactly what's offered to new users.

Sources:
http://kotaku.com/5107143/world-of-warcraft-sex-change-+-only-15-slightly-broken

http://news.spong.com/article/16736/World_of_Warcraft_Sex_Change_Broken

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie

Character Re-Customization FAQ

What is Character Re-Customization?

Character Re-Customization is a paid service that lets you change an existing character's gender, face, skin color, and other cosmetic features determined by his or her race and gender combination. When you perform a Character Re-Customization, you may also change the character's hair color and hair style (similar to the in-game barbershop) and select a new name, if desired.

Can I change my character's race or class?

No, you cannot alter a character's race or class. You may only change cosmetic features of a character through Character Re-Customization.

How much does this service cost?

A single Character Re-Customization costs $15 (not including applicable taxes). This flat fee covers all customization options available for a single character.

How do I know if I will be taxed?

Players in select states in the U.S. may be subject to taxation when using the Character Re-Customization service. This list includes but is not limited to:
- New Mexico
- Texas

How will my guildmates and friends know I customized my character?

The re-customized character will remain in the same guild and will stay on the friends lists of anyone who had added it. If you changed the character's name, the new name will appear on friends lists in place of the old one, so we recommend you tell your friends and guildmates about the re-customization as soon as possible.

Can other players use this feature to get off my ignore list?

No. Characters whose names have been changed will remain on your ignore list, and their names will be updated automatically.

Will this affect a character's mail or auctions?

Existing in-game mail and auctions will not be interrupted or canceled. However, after you change a character's name, other players will need to send new mail to the new character name.

Can I customize multiple characters at once?

The Character Re-Customization service only allows one character to be customized per transaction. If you would like to customize multiple characters, you will need to process and pay for each one separately.

What will happen to the character's Armory profile?

Once you have completed the Character Re-Customization process, the Armory profile will be updated to reflect the character's new look and name.

When will I be charged for the customization?

You will be charged immediately upon pressing the confirmation button on the Character Re-Customization page.

Is there any way to cancel the re-customization while the process is pending?

Because the credit card is charged immediately upon confirmation, you cannot cancel the process once you have pressed the confirmation button and the character customization process is underway.

After I've paid, how do I go about selecting the new gender, face, name, and so on for the character?

After your payment has been processed, you will see a new button when you log in to World of Warcraft that lets you re-customize the character's features (and name, if desired) at your convenience. You do not have to re-customize the character immediately.

Are there any brand-new faces, horn styles, or other cosmetic options available only through Character Re-Customization?

No. The face, skin color, and other cosmetic options available through Character Re-Customization are the same as those already available to players at character creation.

What if the name I want is already in use?

Character names are unique on a per-realm basis. You will not be able to choose a character name that is already in use by another player on the realm.

If I change the character's name, what happens to the old name?

Once the name change is complete, the character's old name will be locked from use on the realm for 90 days. After that time, the old name can be claimed by any player on a first-come, first-served basis. If you want to use the name again, you will have to reclaim it before anyone else does after the 90 days have passed and the name is made available again.

Can I change my character's appearance and name again if I want to?

Yes, but after completing a Character Re-Customization, that specific character cannot have his or her appearance or name changed again for 30 days. After 30 days have passed, you would need to purchase another Character Re-Customization or Paid Character Name Change if you would like to choose a new appearance or name. For more information on Paid Character Name Changes, please refer to our FAQ.

Is there any way to revert to the character's original name after Character Re-Customization is completed?

Once you have selected the confirmation button to complete your name change, there is no way to immediately revert back to the old name. The old name is locked from use on the realm for 90 days, and you will have to perform another Character Re-Customization or Paid Character Name Change after the name is made available again. For these reasons, and because the Character Re-Customization charge is immediate and non-refundable, please be certain of your selection before you complete the process.

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.