8 Level 110 characters
0 Raiding Characters
322 Website/Forum Members
0 Posts in 24 hours
1 Posts in 7 days
27502 Total Posts
wingram is the last poster
Popular Threads
Playing WoW may disqualify you for some jobs...

Playing WoW may disqualify you for some jobs...
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

Job discrimination for World of Warcraft players?

Looking for a new job? Fan of World of Warcraft? Probably best not to mention your WoW habit on your CV. Game designer Raph Koster picked up on a forum thread about recruitment consultants and WoW.

He replied that employers specifically instruct him not to send them World of Warcraft players. He said there is a belief that WoW players cannot give 100% because their focus is elsewhere, their sleeping patterns are often not great, etc.

Ouch. But how true is this? And even if it is couldn't it apply to any game? I'm thinking similarly addictive fare like Football Manager or Call of Duty 4. And let's face it, playing WoW hasn't done Kevin Werbach any harm. But let's see - any WoW fans here struggled at work due to a late night Azeroth session the night before?

Should Employers Discriminate Based on World of Warcraft?
Posted by Tyler Durden 12/16/2008 12:15 PM

Bad news. As if it needed to be any harder to land a job out of college, it seems that some employers are discriminating based on whether someone plays MMORPG's or not. See this quote:

I met with a recruiter recently (online media industry) and in conversation I happened to mention I'd spent way too much time in the early 2000s playing online games, which I described as "the ones before World of Warcraft" (I went nuts for EQ1, SWG and the start of WoW, but since 2006 I have only put a handful of days into MMOG playing - as opposed to discussing them - I've obsessed over bicycles and cycling instead).

He replied that employers specifically instruct him not to send them World of Warcraft players. He said there is a belief that WoW players cannot give 100% because their focus is elsewhere, their sleeping patterns are often not great, etc. I mentioned that some people have written about MMOG leadership experience as a career positive or a way to learn project management skills, and he shook his head. He has been specifically asked to avoid WoW players.

Sources: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/dec/17/pc-games
http://www.collegeotr.com/college_otr/should_employeers_discriminate_based_on_world_of_warcraft_16905

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
Why don't we just ban the Internet, and TV, and life, while we're at it.

Sure. WoW has a distinct effect on people, but that's like saying that anything else that keeps you up late at night won't effect your sleep habits and focus.

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

www.twitter.com/peligrie
cannot give 100%
check
focus is elsewhere
check
sleeping patterns are often not great
check

If I were an employer, I definitely wouldn't hire me.

Then again, who would put that on their resume?

--
Noted- don't hire Locklear for the same exact job he's doing now.

But seriously...who has all those things anyway? WoW is not the only addiction Internet grabber out there. There are people who stay up late and can't focus because of other games, online chat rooms, gambling online, TV, children, and what not. And you ask alot of people working who does give 100% at their job the majority of the time. The longer you are at your job doing the same job all the time, the more people will lose more focus on a regular basis. I would imagine the odds are doubled if you don't like the job you're doing. If you're brand new to a job, you probably do give 95% or more until the boredom of what you're doing seeps in.

It doesn't only have to do with World of Warcraft. Look at some random people you work with, they probably have the exact same issues if they are not over 50, and they probably don't all play WoW.

--

www.twitter.com/peligrie
That is just BS, i smell a lawsuit for discrimination. There are plenty of people who play wow and function normally. To not hire someone because they play a game is like not hiring someone because of race or some other stupid reason people have given.

--
"Were it so easy." - Arbiter
If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back. -Malcom Reynolds
You know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with till you know who's in ruttin command. ~Jayne Cobb

Maybe. People will sue for anything these days.

Chances are they probably aren't doing a "witch hunt" within the company to find people who play it either. But I wouldn't mention it in an interview, application, or Cover Letter, either from what the short articles above say. I just don't agree with the assessment that lack of focus, sleep, and work dedication can be blamed all on WoW in the way that was talked about in the article.

oh and...haha...Tyler Durden.
Quote by Tyler Durden, Fight Club.

1. You do not talk about fight club.
2. You DO NOT talk about fight club.
3. When someone says stop, goes limp, or taps out, the fight is over.
4. Only two guys to a fight.
5. One fight at a time.
6. No shirts or shoes.
7. Fights will go on as long as they have to.
8. If this is your first night at fight club, you have to fight.

--

www.twitter.com/peligrie
You know this all probably started cuz some CEO (playing a rogue no less) was in kara and a hunter ninja'd the Vial from Rumulos....

--
I´ve had my frustrations about the pains of daily life
I´ve tasted degradation and found the lace and candle light
But we have the weights we have the measures of our days and nights
I´ve had my frustrations but now I´ve found my place

And you will make it
But only if you run

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.