wingram is the last poster
Popular Threads
Would you pay $50 for a Rare Mount?

Would you pay $50 for a Rare Mount?
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

‘World of Warcraft’ Players, Would You Pay $50 For A Rare Mount?
Posted by Patrick Klepek on 2/17/09 at 3:00 pm.

Blizzard doesn’t itemize "World of Warcraft," but free-to-play MMO "Perfect World International," a game that’s grown to over a million users in North America alone since its open beta last September, had players willing to pay the price of a full retail game for an extremely rare mount.

*** People are willing to pay more than you might think to be unique online. "Perfect World International" was able to charge $50 for a giant snake mount called "Ancient Boa."

A mount is an MMO term that refers to a creature you can ride. "Ancient Boa" was only available for two weeks in "Perfect World."

But people paid.

"Perfect World" is otherwise free-to-play, however. Unlike traditional MMOs in North America and Europe that work on a month-to-month subscription model, "Perfect World" charges nothing for access to its content, instead relying on players purchasing convenience items and costumes.

Put yourself in their shoes, “World of Warcraft” players. Would you pay $50 to be unique?

Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/17/wow-players-would-you-pay-50-for-a-rare-mount/

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
2 weeks or not, a mount that anyone with access to daddy's pin number can own isn't exactly rare.

I'll take rare drop mounts, achievement-based mounts, "hard mode" mounts, and even faction-reward mounts over a mount purchased for RL monies any day. Plenty of people have paid for the code for the spectral tiger mount, and despite its rarity, it doesn't impress me when I see someone with it. What comes to mind is "That person either plays the card game and got lucky, or spent a fortune on some data in a video game." By contrast, when I see an amani warbear or twilight drake, I'm more impressed, even though these mounts were/are 100% drops when you complete the content on hard mode.

--
(USER WAS AWESOME FOR THIS POST)

AFK: Attack, Fight, Kill! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way To Fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.
OOM: Out Of Mobs, go pull more.
"Being around you makes me feel nicer [by comparison]."
-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
i would like to state here that i hate you all because i never won the roll on the bear. For the record I'm a bear, and im still offended.

--
"We share much together, love of bacon, seeing how low we can let the tanks health get before healing him, pulling before the raid is ready(not really) we have shared a vast font of memories together." Master Fune about DA.
Quote by Valaheea
i would like to state here that i hate you all because i never won the roll on the bear. For the record I'm a bear, and im still offended.

a bear mounting a bear, what is this the discovery channel? Just feel lucky someone didn't try and put reigns on YOU!

--
I´ve had my frustrations about the pains of daily life
I´ve tasted degradation and found the lace and candle light
But we have the weights we have the measures of our days and nights
I´ve had my frustrations but now I´ve found my place

And you will make it
But only if you run

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
Quote by Ellisande

a bear mounting a bear, what is this the discovery channel? Just feel lucky someone didn't try and put reigns on YOU!

You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, so lets do it like they do on the Discovery Channel.

Quote by Warloff
Quote by Ellisande

You and me baby ain't nothing but mammals, so lets do it like they do on the Discovery Channel.

Aww somebody is old.

--
"We share much together, love of bacon, seeing how low we can let the tanks health get before healing him, pulling before the raid is ready(not really) we have shared a vast font of memories together." Master Fune about DA.
Quote by Valaheea
Quote by Warloff
Quote by Ellisande

Aww somebody is old.

Since somebody gets the reference somebody else is old,

Knowing that song makes you old?

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.