8 Level 110 characters
0 Raiding Characters
322 Website/Forum Members
0 Posts in 24 hours
1 Posts in 7 days
27502 Total Posts
wingram is the last poster
Popular Threads
Football jock may want WoW name change...

Football jock may want WoW name change...
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

older news...

Football jock may want World of Warcraft name change
By Leslie Poston

Football is not really known for having colorful characters. It has a few scary ones with prison records, and a few unfaithful ones with relationship issues that make the press, but so far nothing that can be called amusingly colorful. It’s definitely gotten a reputation as a thug sport, so a little playfulness certainly wouldn’t hurt. One football punter may change all that if his recent interview can be believed.

It seems that punter for the American Football Conference team the Minnesota Vikings, Chris Kluwe, declared in a recent print interview that he loves World of Warcraft so much he might change his name to reflect it. It turns out it wasn’t totally his idea. Apparently his teammates know of his addiction to World of Warcraft (often playing as much as 6 hours a day) and have given him a World of Warcraft nickname as a joke, and he is just considering rolling with it, whether seriously or in jest no one knows.

Kluwe points out that other players have changed their names as well, including Chad “Ocho Cinco” Johnson, who took the nick name “Ocho Cinco” as his new name, but to take on the name of a video game would certainly make a splash. If he goes through with the hairbrained idea he would become Chris Warcraft, instead of Chris “Warcraft” Kluwe. He’d certainly make some endorsement money with a name like that!

He has been a lifelong gamer, riding a controller since the early age of 4. In World of Warcraft his character is a troll rogue, more specifically, a troll rogue on the Kil’jaeden server, if you want to keep an eye out for him and combine two of your favorite things, sports and gaming. The interview where he talked about his love of games was originally in the Star Tribune.

Chris Kluwe is putting up numbers that put him in the Vikings record books.
Chris Kluwe has done pretty well for himself in a Vikings uniform considering they picked him up three years ago after he was cut by the Seahawks at the end of training camp.

By MARK CRAIG, Star Tribune

Last update: December 30, 2008

"When I come in, it's pretty much a signal for everybody to get up, grab a beer and go to the bathroom," he said. "But that's the life of an NFL punter, I guess."

In Minnesota, most people recognize Adrian Peterson as the best running back in the 47-year history of the franchise. What they've missed while in the bathroom is Chris Kluwe becoming the best punter in team history at the ripe old age of 27.

"I don't want to sound immodest, but I think you could make that claim if you wanted to," Kluwe said. "I've broken pretty much all of the records I can so far. And I'm trying to get better every year."

His goals are to become the leader in all the positive career statistical categories while claiming the top three spots for single seasons and games.

"I know all of the team records because I look at them in the locker room before games," Kluwe said. "The team puts the game programs on our chairs, so I sit there and read them for something to do."

Kluwe's latest record came Sunday, when he finished the season with a 47.6-yard gross average, breaking Bobby Walden's 44-year-old record of 46.4. Kluwe's career gross average (44.5) also moved into first ahead of Harry Newsome's mark of 43.8.

On Sept. 28 at Tennessee, Kluwe set a team record with six punts of 50 yards or more. Two weeks later, he tied his record with six more vs. the Lions. With a team-record 35 on the season, Kluwe has tied Greg Coleman (1978-87) and Mitch Berger (1996-2001) for the career record of 99.

Kluwe also set the single-season record of 34 punts inside the opponents' 20-yard line a year ago. With 23 more this year, he's third on the career list with 102. He also has had only one punt blocked in 318 attempts.

"It's funny," Kluwe said. "No matter what I've done, most people think of me as the guy on 'Monday Night Football' who couldn't kick the ball out of bounds in New Orleans."

On Oct. 6, the Saints' Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns and nearly got a third one. Vikings coach Brad Childress was livid that Kluwe didn't do as instructed and kick the ball out of bounds. Childress criticized Kluwe publicly after the game and tried out four punters two days later.

"Yeah, I was a little peeved at him," Kluwe said. "You never like to be called out like that, especially when it's something you shouldn't be called out for. But this is the NFL. If he wanted a new punter, it's his right to look for a new one."

Childress stuck with Kluwe. "He's had a good year," Childress said. "When you look at how many balls he's dropped inside the 20-yard line or had an opportunity to drop inside the 20-yard line, like the one we had there at the 3-inch line [against the Giants], you see that he's a good team player."

Kluwe is developing a following on his radio show on 93X.

"I think more people like to hear me talk about playing video games than football," said Kluwe, an expert at many video games. "I've played video games since I was 4 years old. I play them a lot more than I kick a football. I kick the ball about 45 minutes a day. I play video games about five or six hours a day. But that's OK. I don't watch TV."

Kluwe loves the video game "World of Warcraft." I'd explain it, but I'm still trying to figure out Pong.

"Back when [Bengals receiver] Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco, I told the guys at 93X that I was going to change my name to Chris 'World of Warcraft,' " Kluwe said. "They said that's too long. So they started calling me Chris 'Warcraft.' I could make a lot of money if I changed my name to that."

Kluwe is doing pretty well for himself. Last year, he signed an $8.3 million extension through 2013. All the Vikings got in return was the best punting the franchise has ever seen.

On Oct. 6, the Saints' Reggie Bush returned two punts for touchdowns and nearly got a third one. Vikings coach Brad Childress was livid that Kluwe didn't do as instructed and kick the ball out of bounds. Childress criticized Kluwe publicly after the game and tried out four punters two days later.

"Yeah, I was a little peeved at him," Kluwe said. "You never like to be called out like that, especially when it's something you shouldn't be called out for. But this is the NFL. If he wanted a new punter, it's his right to look for a new one."

Childress stuck with Kluwe. "He's had a good year," Childress said. "When you look at how many balls he's dropped inside the 20-yard line or had an opportunity to drop inside the 20-yard line, like the one we had there at the 3-inch line [against the Giants], you see that he's a good team player."

Kluwe is developing a following on his radio show on 93X.

"I think more people like to hear me talk about playing video games than football," said Kluwe, an expert at many video games. "I've played video games since I was 4 years old. I play them a lot more than I kick a football. I kick the ball about 45 minutes a day. I play video games about five or six hours a day. But that's OK. I don't watch TV."

Kluwe loves the video game "World of Warcraft." I'd explain it, but I'm still trying to figure out Pong.

"Back when [Bengals receiver] Chad Johnson changed his name to Ocho Cinco, I told the guys at 93X that I was going to change my name to Chris 'World of Warcraft,' " Kluwe said. "They said that's too long. So they started calling me Chris 'Warcraft.' I could make a lot of money if I changed my name to that."

Kluwe is doing pretty well for himself. Last year, he signed an $8.3 million extension through 2013. All the Vikings got in return was the best punting the franchise has ever seen.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/36857999.html?page=1&c=y

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
Wait, jocks play this game? *head asplode*

So when he goes on the forum and voices his opinion, he gets called a basement-dwelling loser too! This is delicious.

--
(USER WAS AWESOME FOR THIS POST)

AFK: Attack, Fight, Kill! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way To Fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.
OOM: Out Of Mobs, go pull more.
"Being around you makes me feel nicer [by comparison]."
-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
the funniest thing ever is hes not a jock, i met him at a bar here in minneapolis at a guitar hero competition, hes the biggest fucking nerd ive ever met and HES MY GOD DAMN PUNTER WOOOOOOOT GO VIKINGS!

p.s he won that competition by playing thunderhorse by dethklok on expert, didnt miss a note.

--
Quote by Naviketech
the funniest thing ever is hes not a jock, i met him at a bar here in minneapolis at a guitar hero competition, hes the biggest fucking nerd ive ever met and HES MY GOD DAMN PUNTER WOOOOOOOT GO VIKINGS!

p.s he won that competition by playing thunderhorse by dethklok on expert, didnt miss a note.

Tell him that when I come up to visit, I want to meet him and buy him a beer so we can discuss metal and wow and FOOTBALL. Lol.

--

-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
Okay first off, The Vikes are not in the AFC they are in the NFC, Secondly he is a punter, therefore does NOT qualify as a football player, any REAL football fans knows this. Thirdly, the VIKES SUCK!! Give me a story like this about a REAL player from a REAL team and It might twitch my sports junk in my no no region.

GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is now......

--
Actually, no american football team counts as a football team because they don't play football, they play hand lemon. Any REAL football fan knows this. Come up with a new name for this shitty sport and learn the fucking metric system or gtfo my planet.
Also:

--

-Valaheea
Quote by Truenos
"REAL football"

Commie sport.

I dont get the pokemon image, though.

--
Quote by Locklear
Quote by Truenos
"REAL football"

Commie sport.

There's an episode where someone mentions something about vikings still existing, and Ash says "They mostly live in Minnesota." I think it's in the first movie actually, team rocket are dressed up like vikings or something.

--

-Valaheea
Quote by Truenos
Quote by Locklear
Quote by Truenos
"REAL football"

Commie sport.

There's an episode where someone mentions something about vikings still existing, and Ash says "They mostly live in Minnesota." I think it's in the first movie actually, team rocket are dressed up like vikings or something.

I find it disturbing someone knows that...

--

Quote by Thelreheb
Quote by Truenos
Quote by Locklear
Quote by Truenos
"REAL football"

Commie sport.

You'd be disturbed at the disturbing things I know. For example, Bridget has a PENIS.

--

-Valaheea
Quote by Truenos
Quote by Thelreheb
Quote by Truenos
Quote by Locklear
Quote by Truenos
"REAL football"

Commie sport.

You'd be disturbed at the disturbing things I know. For example, Bridget has a PENIS.

Everyone plays Sol anyway.

--
Soccer is for poofs. Almost as bad as basketball, buncha pussies running around. Real men play American Football, Hockey and Rugby..

--

Who the hell is Bridget?

--

Quote by Vultan
Soccer is for poofs. Almost as bad as basketball, buncha pussies running around. Real men play American Football, Hockey and Rugby..

REAL MEN PLAY NASCAR WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!?121212!@!@1

Hockey is a pretty cool guy, eh breaks bones and doesn't afraid of anything. I've broken 5 bones in my life (not counting fingers/toes and ribs and stuff that heals on its own), 3 while playing hockey. Too bad there's nowhere to play it in Texas. I noticed you didn't mention baseball.

Quote by Thelreheb
Who the hell is Bridget?

--

-Valaheea
Quote by Truenos
Quote by Vultan

REAL MEN PLAY NASCAR WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?!?121212!@!@1

Hockey is a pretty cool guy, eh breaks bones and doesn't afraid of anything. I've broken 5 bones in my life (not counting fingers/toes and ribs and stuff that heals on its own), 3 while playing hockey. Too bad there's nowhere to play it in Texas. I noticed you didn't mention baseball.

Quote by Thelreheb
Who the hell is Bridget?

There are so many memes in this post alone, its ridiculous.

--
Quote by Locklear

There are so many memes in this post alone, its ridiculous.

What is a meme?

--

-Valaheea

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.