Popular Threads
Death Knights nerfed in 3.2 patch

Death Knights nerfed in 3.2 patch
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: [Death Knight]

‘World of WarCraft’ To Nerf Death Knights In 3.2 Patch
Posted by Russ Frushtick on 7/2/09 at 4:30 pm.

The death knight quickly became one of the most popular classes in “World of WarCraft” at the launch of the latest expansion pack, “Wrath of the Lich King.” Not really a shock, since they were the first character class to be added since the launch of “WoW,” but now it seems their popularity has gotten the better of them. The next patch (currently on test servers) will give death knights a bit of a kick in the pants, balancing them to be a bit more on the level with the other classes.
The issue, it seems, is that death knight tanks are way more effective than they should be, making them a must-have in raids, and making them more durable than classes designed specifically to tank, like warriors. And, when that happens, changes are usually on the horizon.

In this case death knight tanks are gonna be looking at longer cooldown times, according to a recent Blizzard Q&A:

“We wanted to make the cooldowns the unique part of death knight tanking, and we haven’t given up on that design, but it has also turned out that having lots of powerful cooldowns is just an extremely potent way to tank. Many of the Naxx and Ulduar bosses were dangerous from predictable blasts of damage on cooldowns longer than the death knight ones. Plus the cooldowns could be used to survive just a bit longer. When the other tanks could survive two hits, the death knight could survive three. It’s entirely possible you’ll see Icebound Fortitude on a two-minute timer in the 3.2 patch.”

Source: http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/07/02/world-of-warcraft-to-nerf-death-knights-in-32-patch/

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
"Death Knights are a must have in raids." If that is true, than the other tanks need a boost in AOE threat instead of DK's needing a nerf.

--
Quote by Mordru
"Death Knights are a must have in raids." If that is true, than the other tanks need a boost in AOE threat instead of DK's needing a nerf.

According to the blue post quoted in Isa's post, threat wasn't even mentioned. It's a survivability issue.

--
(USER WAS AWESOME FOR THIS POST)

AFK: Attack, Fight, Kill! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way To Fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.
OOM: Out Of Mobs, go pull more.
"Being around you makes me feel nicer [by comparison]."
-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
yeah, agreed to survivability nerf and not threat. in my opinion paladins are on par with a decent death knight in aoe burst threat. i miss you brian

--
"Death Knights are a must have in raids."

If I recall, the long story behind that quote was that DK's were a "must have" for high-end guilds for Ulduar Hard Modes. (the pvp balancing issue was flat out denied, but who believes that...)
For Ulduar Hard Modes, I could see A nerf being justified. But what they have planned is just murder. DK's look to be the weakest tanks in 3.2 most likely. No shield, no block, lowest HP, and CD's nerfed again. I have trouble seeing what the DK tanks will be bringing to the raid. Glad I'm not a tank....

--

------
Abit Ip35-Pro
E6750 @ 3.4MHz (Exp Index = 6.8)
OCZ Platinum 1GB x 4 @ 850MHz 5-5-5-15 (Exp Index = 7.0)
HD 4890 (Exp Index = 7.6)
150GB Velociraptor (Exp Index = 5.9)
Windows 7 Pro
Quote by infernally
"Death Knights are a must have in raids."

If I recall, the long story behind that quote was that DK's were a "must have" for high-end guilds for Ulduar Hard Modes. (the pvp balancing issue was flat out denied, but who believes that...)
For Ulduar Hard Modes, I could see A nerf being justified. But what they have planned is just murder. DK's look to be the weakest tanks in 3.2 most likely. No shield, no block, lowest HP, and CD's nerfed again. I have trouble seeing what the DK tanks will be bringing to the raid. Glad I'm not a tank....

Yeah, the nerf to frost presence AND the lengthening of defensive cooldowns is way too much. 20% DR on 1 min CD made sense with the lack of block, making it 2 mins is a crippling move.

--
I´ve had my frustrations about the pains of daily life
I´ve tasted degradation and found the lace and candle light
But we have the weights we have the measures of our days and nights
I´ve had my frustrations but now I´ve found my place

And you will make it
But only if you run

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.