PETA Protests Baby Seal Clubbing In World Of Warcraft

[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [Warcraft Web News]
Secondary: None

By Mike Fahey, 8:40 AM on Tue Apr 7 2009
PETA is taking the battle against Canadian baby seal slaughter to a whole new front - World of Warcraft.

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals would really like it if Canada would stop killing adorable little baby seals, and this weekend they're making Azeroth their battleground. This Saturday on the Whisperwind server, activists are urged to travel to the Howling Fjord zone to take on four Canadian Horde seal killers. Why Horde?

Thrall refused to ban the slaughter of seals, despite multiple requests from the Alliance to do so, because Orgrimmar stands to make a large profit from the fur.

I'm guessing this special event doesn't fall within World of Warcraft story canon, and I'm not so sure that PETA picked the correct venue for their protest. I have personally skinned thousands if not tens of thousands of animals over the course of my first rogue's career as a leatherworker, from bunnies to turtles to kittens to small, fluffy, doe-eyed animals that don't even have real-world counterparts.

I do like their overly specific instructions on how to participate, however.

* You must be in the WhisperWind realm in order to fight. Visit WorldofWarcraft.com if you need information about how to switch into this realm.

* Once in the WhisperWind realm, go to Northrend, where you will find a zone called Howling Fjord, where the baby seals live on glaciers and boats float in the fjords. This will be the battleground to stop the slaughter. (Note: You must be at least a Level 70 player in order to enter Howling Fjord.)

* The battle will take place on Saturday, April 11, at 1 p.m. EST.

Anyone who has reached level 70 is going to know how to transfer servers, and most likely isn't going to be too keen to pay for the service in order to participate. Also, you don't need to be level 70...you just need to know your stuff...or be a Shadow Priest.

They did, at least manage to not pick a PVP server for their event, which saddens me to no end. So much for audience participation.

Here's the promotional video they've put together to commemorate the event, in which Canadian Horde seal hunters sound very much like some of my neighbors here in Georgia, because everybody knows that Southern accents equal ignorance.

------------------------

Animal rights organisation PETA have announced plans to stage an in-game protest in World of Warcraft, angered as they are by the practice of virtual seal clubbing in the Howling Fjord area.

The activists are said to be upset by the inclusion of seal clubbing, albeit of the virtual variety, and will challenge those attacking the seals for fur to PvP battles; protecting the polygon-based creatures in the process.

PETA apparently wanted this element of WoW to be banned, but failing this, they have instead opted to the mount a protest to disrupt activities.

The battle will apparently take place this Saturday at 1pm EST.

"You must be in the WhisperWind realm in order to fight. Visit WorldofWarcraft.com if you need information about how to switch into this realm," reads word to protesters.

"Once in the WhisperWind realm, go to Northrend, where you will find a zone called Howling Fjord, where the baby seals live on glaciers and boats float in the fjords. This will be the battleground to stop the slaughter (Note: You must be at least a Level 70 player in order to enter Howling Fjord)."

By Luke Guttridge

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
Actual minutes from their meeting

"Ok guys so for this protest you're going to need to buy World of Warcraft, Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King. Then you'll need to get up to at least the high 60s in level. You should expect to spend a few hours a night over the next few weeks. If you can't do this we'll make sure there's a warlock there to summon you, but be prepared to die alot - known as the Warthawinks syndrome. Remember we each need to buy the games and a 2 month time card to stage this protest so that'll be about $100 a person that we'll be spending to stage this protest."

--

Lets pay the company we failed to pursuade to remove the content in order to stage an in game protest. Why can't we be fighting these kinds of people all the time? Geniouses like this would be a rough crowd to take care of.
People Eating Tasty Animals, People who Eat and Torture Animals, ect.
I propose we combat them by rolling horde and founding <Seal Cub Clubbing Club> on Whisperwind.

And I want to see Val's response to this thread.

--
(USER WAS AWESOME FOR THIS POST)

AFK: Attack, Fight, Kill! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way To Fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius.
OOM: Out Of Mobs, go pull more.
"Being around you makes me feel nicer [by comparison]."
-Valaheea
"You can't use math to determine (your) spec." - Vomit of Ursin, on rogue class mechanics
I hate PvP like...idk...Cats hate water. But I'm so tempted to go roll a Horde on that server just to beat up on them...

Edit: I wonder what they have to say about the quest to make the seals mate?

--
"If what you're seeing is an open book...Thats great. Well, I'm an open book. But I'm real shy." ~Blue October, "The Answer"
Quote by Killcaustic

Edit: I wonder what they have to say about the quest to make the seals mate?

--
just remove maces and staves from the game - problem solved!

--

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.