wingram is the last poster
Popular Threads
Preparing for Cataclysm

Preparing for Cataclysm
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General-Public]
Secondary: None

OK, it’s now one month to go before the launch of Cataclysm, so what can you do in the meantime to get ready? (Disclaimer: I didn’t get into the Cata Beta so the information below is based on web searches and, of course, things may change with the final release.)

While Valor Points will be the new high tier emblems in Cata, Justice Points can be used to acquire level 85 gear (essentially the new blues). See: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/1989-Cataclysm-Release-Dalaran-Portals-Cataclysm-Epic-Stats#justicepoints . So, prior to the Cataclysm release, it makes some sense to stockpile Justice Points up to the 4,000 cap (and probably Honor Points for PvP gear, but I couldn’t find out much about that). But note the cost of these items: 1650 JP for gloves and 2200 JP for a chest item. So your stock of 4000 JP will only get you two items and you can’t equip them until you’re level 85! Fortunately you’ll still be able to acquire Justice Points after the 12/7 release. See: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/22114/cataclysm---justice-point-drop-quantities.

For level 81-84 gear, you likely will have to rely on drops or by visiting your favorite tailor/leatherworker/blacksmith. For example, here are the blacksmithing recipes for Cata: http://kaliope.crafterstome.com/2010/09/cataclysm-blacksmithing-recipes-from.html . It’s likely that this gear won’t be too expensive since the blacksmith will need to make these in order to level his skill. From what I’ve seen of the new recipes, they all require ingredients found only in the expansion, so you can’t stockpile your hides/minerals/herbs, etc. prior to the release.

So what can you do to prepare for the release? Answer: not much. Perhaps the best thing to stockpile is points with your family since you’ll likely disappear December 7th and not reappear until Christmas!

11/8 - A couple of afterthoughts:

It's my understanding that the portals in Dal will be going away. So you probably want to change your hearthstone to SW or IF before the expansion.

Should you be trying to improve your gear before the expansion? If you're undergeared or you're still playing and are likely to go over the 4k JP cap, then probably yes. I've heard rumors that Blizz has packed 10 levels of hurt into the new 81-85 levels, meaning that the Cata mobs and bosses won't be pushovers.

Incidently a few of our guildies have been playing the Cata Beta and I would hope that they would share their experiences here in the forum. A few questions I would like to see answered:

1. What should we be doing on day one? Visiting our profession or class trainers? Get flight training? Where should we go to pick up quests at level 80?

2. Where are the best places to level up herbalism, mining, etc.? Is learning Archaeology worthwhile at the start or should we concentrate on other things first?

3. Where are the new dungeons to be found? Should we wait until we're 81 or 82 before attempting any of these? At what level should we start raiding?

Thanks for posting up this information

I'll be happy if I can get that Baron Mount to drop sometime before Cata too...I know...I've been told, I'm nuts.

--
"If we ever get a dog and cat, they should be named "Come-on" and "Goddammit", so that when you yell "Come on, Goddammit!" you'll be surrounded by their love." -Locklear (paraphrased)

"You navigate like a blind chick." -Locklear
www.twitter.com/peligrie
Quote by Isadoriana
Thanks for posting up this information

I'll be happy if I can get that Baron Mount to drop sometime before Cata too...I know...I've been told, I'm nuts.

I'd be doing the same thing if I could, I miss WoW

--
I´ve had my frustrations about the pains of daily life
I´ve tasted degradation and found the lace and candle light
But we have the weights we have the measures of our days and nights
I´ve had my frustrations but now I´ve found my place

And you will make it
But only if you run

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

[Back to Index]

Part of the DKPSystem.com Network.